Bolton Historical Society
A Brief History of Bentley Memorial Library
(excerpted from "Bolton's Heritage," edited by Bruce G. Ronson)
Open House at the new Bentley Memorial Library - November 9, 1975
|1881||Bolton Library Association created -|
housed in general store in Bolton Center (219 Bolton Center Road).
|1883||Frank Williams recorded as first librarian -|
paid $10 per year "provided he attends to his duties."
|1885-87||Library moves to house of Deacon Charles Loomis -|
Adelia Loomis appointed librarian, a post she held until 1943.
|1900||Vote taken at town meeting to establish a Free Public Library,|
maintained by the town, did not pass.
|1912||Group of seven citizens form a corporation, "The Bolton Hall and Library Association."|
|1914||Voted at town meeting to appropriate $50 annually for a free library.|
|1915||New library opens with 900 books in wing of Community Hall.|
|1957||Library moves to former Roman Catholic chapel (now the Hans Christian Andersen Montessori School).|
|1975||Library moves into new building at its present location at 206 Bolton Center Road. Named for, and endowed by, Elinor Hees Bentley, former head librarian at the Bolton public library.|
|Opening Day at the new Bentley Memorial Library - November 9, 1975
(Click on photo to see larger size.)
Librarian Adelia Loomis receiving award for selling War Bonds
from William Johnson, Savings Bank of Manchester
Return to History Archives Index